Estrogen affects our skin thickness, wrinkle formation, and our skin’s moisture. Estrogens do this by increasing substances in the skin called glycosaminoglycans. You may have heard of something called Hyaluronic Acid.
Hyaluronic Acid is an example of glycosaminoglycans, which helps retain moisture in your skin. Estrogen also increases collagen production in the skin, which helps with the thickness of our skin. Together, glycosaminoglycans and collagen help keep our skin plump, hydrated and wrinkle-free.
10 Facts About Estrogen that are Imperative You Know
1. Estrogen does NOT cause Breast Cancer. (But the Synthetic Prescribed ProgesTINS do!)
2. Estrogen Hormonal Supplementation DECREASES Breast Cancer for more than 10 years. (Which is as long as the largest study, the Women’s Health Initiative, was active.)
3. Estrogen that is supplemented by TOPICAL application, (by patch, cream or gel) does NOT increase your risk of stroke or blood clot. (But Estrogen taken ORALLY, DOES increase the risk of stroke and blood clots by a small amount.)
4. Estrogen should ALWAYS be taken with Bioidentical ProgesterONE – whether you have a Uterus or not. No woman who uses Estrogen should be without bioidentical ProgesterONE.
5. Estrogen increases Serotonin in the brain. Serotonin is critical for the balance of healthy brain function and is the main Neurotransmitter increased by Antidepressant medications such as Prozac, Paxil, Zoloft, Celexa, and Lexepro.
6. Estrogen increases Acetylcholine in the brain. Acetylcholine is critical for memory, learning, and motivation, and is the main Neurotransmitter increased by the prescribed Dementia medication, Aricept.
7. Estrogen decreases your risk of Heart Disease, the number one cause of death in the U.S.
8. Estrogen decreases your risk of Osteoporosis and Broken Bones. Osteoporosis is a silent disease with debilitating effects that has no adequate treatment or reversal.
9. Estrogen supports a healthy libido and a healthy vagina, which also helps decrease the risk of Urinary Tract Infections and Urinary Leakage.
10. Estrogen helps decrease joint and muscle pain as well as help prevent arthritis and scar tissue formation around joints called adhesive capsulitis.
As our estrogen levels decline, our skin gets thinner and dryer and we notice increased fine lines, wrinkles and an appearance of less fullness. Estrogen also helps our hair grow and appear healthy and nourished with moisture just as it does with our skin. Unfortunately, if you experience a sudden drop in your estrogen levels at menopause, you may also experience an unusually high amount of hair loss all at once.
Hair loss can also occur in some women due to an imbalance between their Testosterone and Estrogen levels, with the ratio of Testosterone-to-Estrogen being higher than normal. This results in excessive hair loss and is called female pattern baldness.
Another skin we need to remember is our vaginal tissue. Most women experience drying of vaginal tissues at different times of their hormonal change. If you are a thin woman, you are likely to experience this at an earlier age than if you are a heavier set woman. This is because Estrogen is the main hormone that maintains the elastic nature of the vagina and the moistness within the tissues. Fat cells produce Estrogen, and so, if you are naturally thin, you have a lower Estrogen production than women who have a higher percentage of body fat.
There are some serious complications of a dry vagina. It is not just discomfort during intercourse that can be so discouraging… though… that is certainly enough to deal with by itself. There is another condition called Lichen Sclerosis of the vaginal tissues that can occur with low estrogen levels, which causes scarring of the inner labia and vaginal tissues. Then, this scarred tissue becomes whitish in appearance, stiff, and loses its elasticity. It is serious and difficult to reverse… and it results in very uncomfortable intercourse.
Fortunately, proper balancing of sex hormones will help you glide through your midlife years by decreasing the effects of these skin, hair, and vaginal changes. In addition to balancing your hormones, you can also fight wrinkles, thinning skin and dryness by using Exfoliating and Moisturizing products. And, as always, stay away from excessive sun, alcohol and smoking.
For vaginal dryness, there is only one true cure, and that is intravaginal Estrogen.
Estriol, or E3, has been proven to be the best Estrogen for vaginal dryness. It works 100% of the time. Fortunately, even women who have had breast cancer are candidates for Estriol for vaginal use.